To sell e-cigarettes in Dubai, you will need to obtain a trade license from the Dubai Department of Economic Development (DED). You will also need to obtain approval from the Emirates Standardization and Metrology Authority (ESMA). The ESMA will require you to submit a product analysis report and a lab report for your e-cigarettes.
The shared blog explains every aspect that required for e-cigarettes license in Dubai and the UAE.
The Emirates Authority for Standardization and Metrology (ESMA) is the government entity responsible for emerging and executing technical regulations and standards for products and services in the UAE. ESMA also issues conformity certificates for products that meet its values.
An ESMA certificate is required for the import, sale, and distribution of certain products in the UAE, including:
- Food and beverages
- Electrical and electronic products
- Construction materials
- Toys and childcare products
- Medical devices
- Personal protective equipment
- Automotive products
If you are planning to import, sell, or distribute any of these products in the UAE, you will need to obtain an ESMA certificate.
Steps to obtain an ESMA certificate
The process of obtaining an ESMA certificate can be complex, but it is generally straightforward. The following steps are involved:
- Identify the applicable ESMA standards. The first step is to identify the ESMA standards that apply to your product(s). You can do this by searching the ESMA website or by contacting ESMA directly.
- Test your product(s) with an accredited laboratory. Once you have identified the applicable ESMA standards, you will need to test your product(s) with an accredited laboratory to ensure that they meet the requirements.
- Apply to ESMA. Once you have the test results, you can apply to ESMA for a conformity certificate. The application form can be downloaded from the ESMA website.
- Pay the application fee. There is a fee associated with submitting an application to ESMA. The fee varies depending on the type of product and the number of products being certified.
- Undergo a factory audit (if required). For certain products, ESMA may require you to undergo a factory audit to verify that your manufacturing processes meet its standards.
- Receive your ESMA certificate. Once ESMA has reviewed your application and test results, and if applicable, conducted a factory audit, it will issue you an ESMA certificate.
Documents required to obtain an ESMA certificate
The following documents are typically required to obtain an ESMA certificate:
- A completed application forms
- A valid UAE trade license
- A copy of the product's technical drawings or specifications
- A test report from an accredited laboratory
- A factory audit report (if required)
- The ESMA certification process can take several weeks or even months to complete, depending on the type of product and the complexity of the application.
- ESMA certificates are valid for three years. After three years, you will need to renew your certificate.
- You can find more information about the ESMA certification process on the ESMA website.
How to get an ESMA certificate for e-cigarettes and vapes
In addition to the general steps outlined above, there are some specific requirements for obtaining an ESMA certificate for e-cigarettes and vapes.
- You must have a valid UAE trade license for the import, sale, and distribution of e-cigarettes and vapes.
- Your e-cigarettes and vapes must meet the requirements of the ESMA standard for e-cigarettes and vapes (ESMA 503:2017).
- Your e-cigarettes and vapes must be tested by an accredited laboratory to ensure that they meet the requirements of ESMA 503:2017.
- You must submit an application to ESMA for a conformity certificate. The application form can be downloaded from the ESMA website.
- You must pay the application fee.
- You must undergo a factory audit to verify that your manufacturing processes meet ESMA's standards.
Obtaining an ESMA certificate is a necessary step for importing, selling, and distributing certain products in the UAE. The ESMA certification process can be complex, but it is generally straightforward. By following the steps outlined above, you can increase your chances of obtaining an ESMA certificate quickly and efficiently.
Reference: How to get ESMA certificate